Thursday, February 19, 2009

Things about Google Earth

Things I've learned so far:
  • I can import waypoint, tracks and route data from a GPS system.
  • New placemarks are created using lat and long data.
  • The data points imported into Google Earth from Google Maps have lat and log properties extracted and available in the waypoint's "Properties" dialog box.
  • I can create folders which could allow me to organize data points by year of purchase.
  • Google Earth animates zooming in to Street Level image display.
  • GE Pro allows GPS data import into the map.
  • GE Pro allows real-time GPS tracking
  • GE Pro allows importing of spreadsheet data with up to 2500 points.
  • GE Pro allows GIS data importing (ArcGIS?)
  • Google has a product called "SketchUp" which allows us to create extruded 2D and 3D graphics.  This could be useful for representing multiple events (purchases) at a single location if it can be mashed up with Google Maps or Google Earth.
Things to find out:
  • Can I automate "zooming" in to data points when Street Level images exist for them?
  • Can I export placemarks I create in Google Earth to my My Maps map in Google Maps?
  • Is it possible to programmatically alter the speed of movement from one waypoint to another based upon some piece of data?  This would allow me to simulate time differences among purchases.
  • Find out how "real-time" GPS tracking works.
  • What kind of GIS data are out there in the public domain that I may use in conjunction with my receipts?
  • Get feature set and free vs. paid license feature comparison for SketchUp.
Resources:

No comments:

Conceptual and Information Arts Searching