Friday, April 10, 2009

The Dreaded RSI and My Adventures in Kaiserland

I've been scanning and scanning and coding and coding and it has done me in.  I code for my job, code for my Software Development class and code for my Art class.  

No kidding:  I've started coding in my dreams!

So my body has finally rebelled:  some time last week my right wrist started burning - constantly.  And then I noticed that when I flexed my hand backwards, a white bump-y protrusion popped out just on the inside of my wrist below the heel of my palm.  Actually, not one but two.  The right's larger than the left.

I suspect it's more skin trauma from rubbing, rubbing, rubbing, resting and rubbing more on laptop edges and keyboard wrist pads.  But I couldn't take a chance.  The constant burning is what's the "red flag" part.

Long story short, I finally called Kaiser and for $15 they saw me within two hours, gave me some advice, the Dr. consulted a hand surgeon and they sent me to X-Ray.  This is a long way from the Kaiser that made me wait 6 weeks for an appointment to examine an ankle sprain years ago

    "Sorry, Ms. Mooney, we can't determine what's wrong.  There's no swelling or pain."    
    "No kidding, Doc, it was six weeks ago."

So yesterday the Doc at a much improved Kaiser said, ice 3x a day, Motrin 600 3x a day, rest my wrists for six weeks, bandage it to protect from rubbing and we'll see.  Could just be the start of a cyst and not an RSI.  We'll follow-up then if it's still bothering you.

     "Oh Doc, that's not an option.  I have a month left of school and I have to do a lot of programming in the meantime."

So, following his advice for mitigation in the meantime, I'll be wearing a wrist brace and waiting it out.   I've already been bandaging it and looking like I'm on a weekend furlough from suicide watch, self-consciously pulling my sleeve down over my wrist again and again to hide the "evidence."  

Darn, I was hoping it would be something they could aspirate or medicate and this would be over!

No comments:

Conceptual and Information Arts Searching